On April 14, 2016 the Wake Forest University Board of Trustees voted in favor of building Phases II & III of the Reynolds Gymnasium Renovation and Transformation Project simultaneously saving several months of construction time and project costs. Phase I of the project was completed in January of 2016 with the opening of The Sutton Center, a 46,000 square foot facility boasting of two full-sized gymnasiums and an Outdoor Pursuits Center.
The projected timeline for the completion of Phase II is August of 2017 followed by the completion of Phase III tentatively set for March of 2018.
Phase I (Sutton Center)
- 46,000 square feet addition comprised of two full sized basketball gymnasiums, two connector atriums and an Outdoor Pursuits Center: featuring gear rentals, trip registrations and new outdoor equipment.
Phase II (tentative completion: August of 2017)
- New main entrance and lobby
- Creation of the Office of Wellbeing Suite of offices and consultation spaces
- Large social gathering space with comfortable seating and fireplace
- Installation of an access, equipment and business operations control desk
- Five strength and conditioning spaces comprised of:
- Selectorized machines, plate-loaded and olympic platforms
- New cardio machine floor containing treadmills, elliptical machines, upright bikes, recumbent bikes and other cardio machines
- Two multi-purpose activity (MAC) gymnasiums with dasher boards, recessed goals and rounded corners
- Intramural checkout counter for first aid, sports equipment, game jerseys and more
- Bouldering wall with multiple route options.
- Men’s and Women’s locker rooms with immediate floor access to fitness spaces
- Front administrative, examination, lab offices of the Student Health Center
- Classroom/conference space
Phase III (tentative completion: March of 2018)
- One eight lane pool
- Whirlpool on pool deck for 14 individuals
- Wet classroom adjacent to pool deck
- Separate Pool locker rooms and ample deck space for spectators or staging for water based courses
- Two Group Exercise Studios with participant cubbies and equipment storage
- One Group Cycling Studio able to service multiple class riders
- One Core Fitness classroom
- One recreational lounge etc.
- Three Club Sports/Multi-purpose rooms including a combatives/mat room
- Campus Recreation main administrative offices, conference room and student employee work station
- Intramural Sports Administrative Office with meeting space and equipment storage
- Varsity Volleyball Lounge, training, hydro therapy and home team locker room